Dog Daycare Program Guidelines
The Rover Oaks Doggie Daycare program provides a wonderful opportunity for approved pets to romp and play with other dogs. This activity offers valuable socialization, regular exercise, and fun… which can have a very positive impact on the pet’s behavior, stress level and overall health. Listed below are the guidelines that all pets (and parents!) need to know. Please remember that these daycare guidelines may be changed or amended at any time without notice.
Approval Process: To be considered, all candidates must be neutered or spayed (except for Puppy Play School or Junior Daycare), must not be aggressive or have any other excessive behavioral issues, current on required vaccinations, and using an effective flea & tick preventative. Our staff will contact owners to schedule their pet’s Social Evaluation after receiving the completed application forms and vaccination records. The Social Evaluation assesses the social skills of potential new pets by gradually introducing them to our approved daycare dogs. A pet may be evaluated while it is lodging at Rover Oaks as long as the Social Evaluation application has been submitted and the Social Evaluation appointment has been scheduled prior to the pet’s arrival for lodging. Dogs must be at least 4 months old to participate in Puppy Play School (Katy Location) or Junior Daycare (Houston Location) and 12 months old to participate in any other daycare program at either location.
Probation: Pets approved for Doggie Daycare are always considered “on probation” since their behavior can change. If their social skills become unsuitable at any time, their daycare privileges can be suspended. Similarly, pets who have not participated in Doggie Daycare for over 3 months will be re-introduced to the pack and monitored closely for any behavior changes. If their behavior has changed such that it imposes a safety risk to other pets or themselves, they may have their privileges suspended.
Hours of Operation: Please note that Doggie Daycare runs on a slightly different schedule from our normal lobby hours.
Monday - Friday: 6:30am - 6:30pm
Saturday: 9:00am - 4:00pm
Sunday: 9:00am - 2pm at Rover Oaks Houston | Open for boarding dogs only at Rover Oaks Katy.
Pets can be dropped off anytime during those hours, and all pets must be picked up by closing time. Pets who are lodging overnight can schedule sessions in Doggie Daycare after they have been approved for group play. Please contact the Doggie Daycare department at Rover Oaks Houston or Rover Oaks Katy for more information regarding the specific schedule for large dogs and small dogs at that location. Holidays may affect regular daycare hours.
Reservations: Reservations are always required for pets to participate in daycare. A pet may be included in the Rover Oaks Doggie Daycare program as follows:
(A) Standing Reservation: Pets with Standing Reservations have reservations for a specific day (or days) of the week. The pet attends daycare on the same day (or days) of each consecutive week on an ongoing basis. By special arrangement a limited number of bi-weekly standing reservations may be available. A requirement for clients who request a Standing Reservation is the purchase of a discounted Daycare Punchcard, which will be punched each time the pet attends daycare. In addition, daycare passes offer free daycare sessions with the purchase of either a 10-day pass or a 40-day pass.
(B) Daily Call-In: Occasionally, a pet with a Standing Reservation is not able to come to daycare on its designated day, which leaves an "open slot” for that one day. Owners of approved pets (with or without standing reservations) may call Rover Oaks at 6:30 a.m. Monday through Friday and leave a message inquiring about daycare availability for that day. If a space is available, Rover Oaks will contact the owner by 7:30 a.m. A daycare pass is not required for Daily Call-ins. (Note: Pets who are brought to Rover Oaks without first receiving a confirmation call from our staff will be lodged in the lodging environment and not allowed in daycare that day.)
(C) Group Play or Daycare While Lodging: Pets approved for Doggie Daycare may make a reservation to participate in a daycare program when they are staying at Rover Oaks overnight, as long as space is available.
(D) Walk-ins: On Saturdays and Sundays at Rover Oaks Houston only. "walk-ins" are welcome. Reservations are always required otherwise.
Regarding Standing Reservations: By scheduling a standing reservation, owners ensure that their pet will be able to attend Doggie Daycare each week. Here are our policies regarding standing reservations:
- Standing reservations are only available for customers who pre-purchase a daycare pass. Daycare passes make payment convenient, and they offer free days in Doggie Daycare based on the quantity of days purchased.
- Standing reservations are specific to the individual day of the week that is scheduled, and Rover Oaks does not offer standing reservations less frequently than once per week. Owners may be allowed to “permanently” change the specific day of their reservation if a slot is available on a different day.
- Standing reservations and/or daycare passes cannot be shared among pets of different families.
- Owners are required to call the Rover Oaks front desk in advance to let us know if their pet must miss its scheduled day in daycare. If 3 appointments are missed without advance notice, or if a pet frequently misses its scheduled reservation with advance notice, the owner will have two options: (a) release their standing reservation to another customer or (b) keep their standing reservation and agree to pay for each scheduled day in Doggie Daycare, regardless of whether or not the pet attends.
Social Time: Pets will enjoy approximately 6-7 hours of social play in Doggie Daycare each day, depending upon when they arrive and depart. Pets are given the opportunity to rest for 2 hours at mid-day.
Feeding: We do not recommend that pets eat anything substantial during the day due to the high level of physical activity during Doggie Daycare, and we do not offer feedings for daycare pets. Pet owners should realize that the risk of life-threatening “bloat” (i.e., Gastric Dilation and Volvulus) increases when dogs participate in vigorous activity within 1 hour after feeding…. especially for large or deep-chested breeds.Owners who feed their pets in the morning before Doggie Daycare should feed their pets before 6:00 a.m.
Vaccinations: Prior to a pet's arrival, Rover Oaks Pet Resort must have a formal vaccination record from a licensed veterinarian indicating that your pet is up-to-date on the following vaccinations:
Both H3N2 & H3N8 Strains of Canine Influenza*
*The first vaccine must be given at least 10 days prior to an arrival at Rover Oaks Pet Resort
Flea & Tick Preventative: Since fleas and ticks are easily transmitted from pet to pet, and since daycare pets at Rover Oaks enjoy frolicking and rolling in our grassy Dog Park, Rover Oaks requires owners to treat their pets regularly - according to manufacturer instructions - with a veterinarian-approved flea and tick preventative. In addition, we strongly encourage regular administration of a heartworm preventative due to the highly active nature of Doggie Daycare.
Dirty Dogs: One of the benefits of Doggie Daycare at Rover Oaks is playing in our large Dog Park. As a result, some pets will get dirty (especially on rainy days) while romping and rolling in the grass and wading pool. Our daycare staff will do their very best to clean up dirty pets before they are picked up by the owners. However, owners should understand that the primary role of our daycare staff is to supervise their pets, and time is not available to provide a thorough bath before sending pets home. As an alternative, pet owners may contact the front desk to schedule a “Daycare Bath” in the Grooming Salon. Baths begin around 12:00 p.m. and are usually completed by 5:30 p.m. Owners should understand that their pet could become dirty once again if allowed to return to Doggie Daycare after a bath.
Other Important Notes:
- When dropping off your pet for Doggie Daycare, do not open the inside gate or door that leads to the pets' play areas. A staff member will meet you at the gate or door to accept your pet.
- For your dog's protection, all dogs must be on leash when dropping off or picking up a pet from Doggie Daycare.
- Owners can arrange to have friends or relatives pick up their dog, but owners must inform our daycare staff in advance before we will allow any other person to take home a pet which is not theirs.
- In order to maintain the facilities and Dog Park in good condition, Rover Oaks reserves the right to temporarily limit or suspend daycare activity from time to time.